This candy cane dog treat recipe is easy to make, and they’re a great way to give your dog something extra special (and super cute) this holiday season.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
🦴 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
🦴 ½ Cup Nonfat Powdered Milk
🦴 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
🦴 2 Large Eggs
🦴 2 Tsp All-Natural Red Food Coloring such as Beet Juice (Traditional red dyes can be harmful for pups so make sure you check that all ingredients are dog safe!)
🦴 1 Large Egg, for egg wash
🦴 Additional flour for kneading
WHAT TO DO
- Whisk together the flour, powdered milk, and baking powder in a large bowl. Pour Brutus Broth into a small bowl. Whisk the eggs into the Brutus Broth.
- Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Knead the dough until no longer sticky.
- Separate the dough in half. Wrap one half in wax paper and place in the fridge.
- Add red food coloring to the other half and continue to knead until it has changed color. Recommended to knead on a piece of wax paper or baking sheet so you don’t get food coloring all over the counter. Also recommended to wear rubber gloves to not stain your hands. Once the dough has turned red, wrap it in wax paper and place in the fridge. Allow to chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Divide each ball of dough into Tbsp sized balls, equal number of balls per dough. Gently rollout each ball into strips, about 5 inches long and fairly thin.
- Twist one of each colored strips together and curl the top as you place on the baking sheet, in a candy cane shape.
- Whisk the extra egg and coat each candy cane with the egg wash.
- Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely.
Let cool before giving to your pooch. Enjoy!